Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Day 750 -- La Crosse


With only 350 residents, La Crosse, Washington is less than 1/10 the size of the La Crosse that I'm used to, here in Wisconsin. But they seem very friendly.

I did something today that I don't think I've ever done before. I got up early, as usual, and went to the gym to do my 40 laps. I came home, cleaned up, ate breakfast, and got down to school to meet my two stragglers who had to take the stats exam. I spent the whole morning grading, then at noon I went back to the gym and ran another 40 laps. That's 10.7 miles in two shifts.

It was pure indulgence. I did it because I could. Because so many times, over the last month especially, I've wanted to run, but I've been too busy, or too tired, or the gym has been closed. Today I didn't have any commitments, so I went and ran a second time. It felt heavenly. I admit I'm a bit sore, now. But it was worth it.

The grading is coming along. I have graded the exams for stats and for Math Ed. I haven't quite set the final grades, yet, but there don't seem to be any tough calls. For the second semester in a row, all but one of my Math Ed students will get a C or better. That's pretty high, compared to other instructors. The department chair will probably call this to my attention. I didn't try to make it an easy course. And I feel confident that they've learned lots of good stuff.

The exams are not going particularly well in Discrete Math. I have four or five more questions to grade, and I hope that they will go pretty well. Discrete Math is the one course where my D/F/W rate is pretty darn high.

Anyway, I'll be done with the grading by the end of the week, and ready for a nice rest. I've earned it.

0 comments: